All mothers know that feeding the baby directly from the breast is ideal, being the most complete and nutritive source for children up to the age of six or eight months. Breastfeeding brings a number of benefits to the baby’s body, reducing the risk of developing various types of infections, eczema and obesity, diabetes, and high blood pressure over time.
Also, breastfeeding, for you, as a mother and woman, you will notice that you will recover more easily after stress pregnancy, labor and delivery, you’ll reduce the risk of breast cancer and you create, while an emotional tie with the child.
Even though breastfeeding is a natural and normal process, any mother has to adhere to a few rules in order for her to take place in good hygienic conditions.
- Breast care should be started gradually during pregnancy, when they are gradually preparing for their future function, more specifically for milk production. What are the changes that appear? First of all, they increase in their volume, become firmer and even tense. Therefore, to avoid the appearance of stretch marks due to the stretching of the skin that adapts to the new dimensions, it is recommended that from the moment you learn about the pregnancy, start using lotions and special creams. Also, towards the end of pregnancy we also recommend using a special nipple cream to help them become firmer.
- To unblock your breast channels and to relieve pressure, use a special milking pump. Perform this procedure in the morning when you have more milk, taking care that the equipment used is cleaned and sterilized. Choose a quiet, comfortable and retired place because the presence of other people may decrease milk secretion. Wash your hands well with warm water and perfume-free soap, then wash your breasts and apply warm compresses three to five minutes before. The next step is to mass your circular breast and move from outside to nipple. After mixing, put a few drops of milk on your nipples and let them dry in the air.
- During the time when you feel your breasts very heavy, with a huge pressure, apply ice compresses. Some doctors say it is not recommended to apply ice because it leads to a possible constriction of the channel. And I advise you to continue to suck to relieve your breasts and massage more often.
- After breastfeeding, you have to provide an effective breastfeeding toilet, in particular, you have to wash with warm water the nipple without soap or gels, uses the doctor’s recommended creams and as far as possible try to expose them to the air for as long as possible to avoid humidity.
- You have to wear a cotton bra, those in nylon or polyester heat and irritate the skin. Search in specialty shops special models for nursing women, namely bras whose cups open separately and support the breast without compressing it.
- You have to wear soft, comfortable, soft cotton clothes to let your skin breathe and not to inhibit the milk flow.
- Try to never sleep on your stomach and not crush your breasts in any way during your sleep.
- Check the sucking position of the baby because if it does not feed well and will not squeeze all the milk in the breast, it will cause blockage of the breasts, the nipples will crack, and the bacteria can penetrate into the breast and cause various infections.
- And last but not least, do not forget to hydrate, so drink at least three liters of water a day and avoid as much as possible coffee as well as acidic juices.
Do not be afraid to ask the advice of others or your doctor whenever you think you need advice or suggestions.